Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Help.


I visited my friend at the flea market a few weeks ago. He had a stack of photos sitting on the table. The top photo, (5x7,  b/w, autographed) was of Gil Hodges in a Mets uni. "What's that," I asked? "Take a look." I picked them up. Fifteen black and white photos, all autographed, of the 1969 NY Mets. A little tattered, dogged eared, and yellowed. He got them in an auction. 

I can't determine their origin. Are those actual autographs? I checked a couple of the players against signatures I found on-line. They look like matches. 

Last week I went back to the flea market. My friend hasn't been doing well health-wise. I sat down to talk and saw another picture sitting there. It was Ken Boswell. "Oh, yeah" he says, "that goes with the set. I saved it for you." 

Where did these come from? In my mind I've created an entire story. It involves an 8-year-old kid from Queens. His dad takes him to a fan-fest type thing at the beginning of the 1969 season. You pay a buck or two. The players sign these pics and slide them across the table to you. "Thanks Mr. Swoboda. I hope the Mets win the series this year." "Thanks kid." 

Anyway, they mean the world to me. 16 photos of the "Amazing Mets". I will be finding frames and hanging them in my office. Anyone have any ideas about their origin?

Here's the line-up
Tom Seaver
Jerry Koosman
Cleon Jones
Tommie Agee
Jerry Grote
Ron Swoboda
Tug McGraw
Donn Clendenon
Ed Kranepool
Wayne Garrett
Bud Harrelson
Gary Gentry
Ron Taylor
Art Shamsky
Ken Boswell
Gil Hodges

No comments: