Monday, June 15, 2009

Longevity

Last week I bought a cereal box of 2009 Topps Series 2. I opened it and sorted it and realized that there wasn't one NY Met in the whole lot. What are the odds? I don't know.

Today on the way home from work I went by Wal-Mart and picked up another cereal box. Would this one be loaded with Mets? Nope. One. One lonely NY Met. Francisco Rodriguez. That brings my collection of Mets from '09 Topps Series 2 to a grand total of 2. Ollie and K-Rod. (I picked up Ollie in a stray pack).


But, if we were to base Series 2 on the box cover, longevity would be the theme.


First up,
Ryan Braun, the Hebrew Hammer. Turkey Red. What a coincidence. In the last cereal box I bought I received a Turkey Red Prince Fielder. If I was a Brewer fan I would be in heaven. As far as longevity give this guy some time. I think he has it in him.


Next, Mel Ott. As a Met fan I appreciate the connection with the NY Giants. Ott played 22 seasons with the Giants. Pretty solid.


World Baseball Classic. Fu-Te Ni, Chinese Taipei. In the description they say Fu-Te "paced his old circuit in strikeouts in '08, after being his nation's workhorse in the previous year's Baseball World Cup".


Next insert, Larry Jones, Legends of the Game. You may not know this guy by that name, but I'm a Met fan. This guy has been killing the Mets, (and a lot of the NL teams) for some time now. 15 years is long enough. If he goes much more, his next kid will be named "Citi".

No comments: