Wednesday, April 15, 2009

42




I started working at the College of Charleston - North Campus in late 2006. The year before I had started what I call the "Annual Pilgrimage" to Florida. This pilgrimage is a return to my home. Sunny Florida. In Spring. Back to the ball fields. A place where you can meet your heroes.
In 2007, I was still new at the job. When people heard I was a baseball fan they told me about College of Charleston Communications Professor and author, Dr. Chris Lamb's, book. "Blackout: The Untold Story of Jackie Robinson's First Spring Training." I picked up a copy right before I left for Spring Exhibition games.

I read Dr. Lamb's book while I was on my trip that year. I contacted him before I left and informed him I was traveling down there and would be blogging. He answered with an encouraging word and a wish to be there with me. I carried the book with me as I walked around Dodgertown (my first trip). Even though Jackie didn't play there in his inaugural season, he was a mainstay in Dodgertown for many years to come. The book added a road map to what Jackie faced before he went to "The Show." Racism in Florida was a reality then and provided him with a glimpse of what lay ahead. His (and Rachel's) courage should never be forgotten.

If you are a fan who would like to learn more about the game than the what's in the box score, this book is for you. Check it out.

No comments: